Thursday 9 February 2012

Last Day of Classes!

     I had my last day of class today! Well my last day of class in the South. Tomorrow we are headed to Hampi, an ancient city that I am told is amazing. We head there on an overnight train, stay a night there, and then head back Sunday night on another overnighter. Once we are back in Mysore we have Monday to study and exams Tuesday through Friday. This semester abroad is split into two sections, the North and the South. Therefore we take courses in the South, write exams; and then take courses in the North and write exams. Two course marks are placed together to make a full course that the University of Guelph recognizes. We actually complete the same amount of class time that is necessary for Guelph courses, just in a shorter amount of time. I am a bit apprehensive about the exams so I will be studying on the overnight trains. I can't believe how quickly time has flown by. I have been in India for 5 weeks already!

      My time in Mysore has been great. I was ready to finally settle after travelling non-stop for two weeks. The longer I am on this trip, the more I appreciate how well it has been organized. We are able to travel and see many places, while at the same time, have the opportunity to stay and learn one location. The living arrangements in Mysore can be acquainted to that of residence in first year. It is great to be able to see everyone all the time but at the same time I see everyone all the time haha. When we are in the North we live with local families. I have billeted before when I was in Katimavik, so I am really excited to do it again. Although there is always some apprehension about entering someone else's place whom you do not know, it will be the best way to actually experience life in India.

      Mysore has brought many fun times! We have been able to explore some of Mysore in the minimal free time we get outside of classes. I have visited the local zoo and an "American" mall. I have also had many trips downtown to see the palace, the local market, and so much more. Many girls on the trips have had sari's tailored and one of the guys recently got a suit tailored.We have also had a few meals downtown at some local "touristy lonely planet" restaurants that have all been really good. I also should not forget to mention the monkeys. They have terrorized the group a few times by stealing bannanas from rooms or going through our garbage. They can actually be quite aggressive. A few days ago a few monkeys were going through garbage outside of our classroom. We tried to simply scare them off with no luck. A local worker actually had to grab a pellet gun to scare them off.

     I will try to post a few pictures in my next post. I am still having a great time and have been (knock on wood) quite healthy. Will update when I get back from Hampi :)

 Thanks for Listening

1 comment:

  1. Don't tell Colleen about the monkeys. She will want you to bring one home!

    Good luck on your exams.

    Love Dad.

    ReplyDelete